With a major winter storm forecast for this weekend, the New Brunswick Emergency Measures Organization urges people to be prepared for inclement weather.
A basic emergency kit should contain the following supplies:
- Water (two litres per person per day)
- Non-perishable food (canned and dried goods, energy bars, etc. Replace each year)
- Manual can opener
- Wind-up or battery-powered flashlight (and extra batteries)
- Candles and matches or lighter
- First aid kit
- Extra cash money (smaller bills and change)
- Spare house and car keys
- A copy of emergency plan and contact information
- Prescription medications
- Special items such as infant formula, equipment for persons with disabilities or food, water and medication for your pets or service animal
For more winter safety tips, visit https://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/corporate/promo/winter_safety.html.
From Mayor Hennessy:
Just a reminder that in the event of a prolonged power outage with the upcoming storm, the Fire Hall is equipped with a back up Generator, full washroom /shower facilities, and a full kitchen. Charge your devices, fill up some water jugs, get warmed up, camp out etc. Monitor the Village of Blackville Facebook page, as well as tune into the Radio stations for updates. Remember to check in on those who may need some extra support or assistance, and keep updated as well.
As of 8:00am on Friday, January 18, snowfall amounts of 50-75cm are expected for Blackville on Sunday, January 20.