A Public Notice to Homeowners, Developers and Contractors
Prior to starting the work, a BUILDING PERMIT is required for:
Residential single unit dwelling
- Construction of new homes, including modular homes (pre-fab homes);
- Placing, relocating new and used mini-homes and mobile-homes;
- Construction or placement of a shed, barn, garage, storage building, etc., including pre-fabricated buildings;
- Construction of a deck, balcony, verandah, roof assembly, ramp, etc.;
- Interior renovations, including walls (non-loadbearing and loadbearing), new stairs, new bedrooms, finishing of basements, etc.;
- Structural exterior renovations, including exterior wall or roof sheathing (not re-roofing or re-siding), changing windows and doors sizes, changing bedroom window;
- New foundation, or the addition of one to an existing dwelling;
- Construction or installation of a fence, enclosure, or signage;
- Additions to any of the above, requires a building permit.
- Interior maintenance work such as painting, replacing floor finishes, new cabinets are exempted from a building permit.
All other uses, including residential two unit dwellings and more
- Construction of all new buildings and structures (including accessory buildings);
- Additions to all buildings and structures;
- Placing or relocating of a building or structure;
- All interior renovations, except new flooring, painting, and other cosmetic changes which are not regulated by the National Building Code of Canada;
- All exterior renovations, including re-siding;
- Construction or installation of a fence, enclosure or signage;
- New foundation to a building or structure;
- Electrical work that impacts fire alarms, emergency lighting, exit signage, fire separations or structural components;
- Changes or installation to a sprinkler system or ventilation system;
- Change in use of a building
DEMOLITION of buildings and structures also require a permit.
For any other work not mentioned above, please contact the GMRSC Planning Services at 506-778-5359 or toll free 1-855-647-5359, and ask a Building Inspector if the work you are considering, requires a building or demolition permit. Work commenced prior to the issuance of a permit, may result in legal action against the property owner.
Please contact our office (506-778-5359) or visit our website (www.greatermiramichirsc.ca) to inquire about what information and documents will be required upon application for a building or demolition permit. We would be happy to answer any questions that you may have.
Doaktown office: 8 Miramichi Street, Doaktown NB
Tel.: 506-365-7332. Open on Tuesdays, April to September, from 9am to 3 pm (call for appointment)